If you’re like most consumers, getting the most bang for your buck is at the top of your list when holiday shopping. If you're always on the look-out for great deals and discounts, these Holiday Shopping hacks are just what you need to help you snag a deal any time of the year.
The Best Post-Christmas Deals and Where to Find Them
Believe it or not, the best time for holiday shopping is the day after Christmas. Savvy shoppers know that most stores offer huge discounts the day after a holiday. This includes seasonal merchandise as well as popular toys, electronics, and more. If you're a planner, this is an excellent way to save on gifts for next year. Be sure to follow your favorite stores on social media to be alerted of their sales and discounts.
Online vs. In-Store Holiday Shopping
There are advantages to buying gifts online and in-store for great deals when holiday shopping. Sometimes retailers offer items available at a good price to those who shop in the store while supplies last. Others offer incentives like free shipping and deep discounts to their online customers. The key is to determine how your favorite store offers the best deals to take advantage of their sales.
Signing Up for Retail Newsletters
A great way to save money when holiday shopping is to sign up for retail newsletters that offer customers a notice about upcoming sales, so they are prepared to take advantage of these great deals. Having discount notices delivered directly to your inbox gives you plenty of notice of how you can save big.
Using Deal Aggregator Websites/Apps
Saving money on holiday shopping is a breeze when you use deal aggregator websites and apps that are great tools for those looking to snag a deal. Instead of registering for individual websites to see sales opportunities, simply choose a deal aggregator so that you get notified of all the deals from your favorite stores and brands. These companies partner with national brands and collect all the best deals for your location and send them all your way.
Find Clarity in Your Finances with Your Own Budgeting Bundle: Download Now
The Wisdom of Out-of-Season Shopping
One of the best tips for snagging the best deals for holiday shopping is to shop out of season. When everyone wants the latest electronic device, needs new winter clothes, or is excited about the latest popular toy, the price stays elevated. After the season, though, when the demand drops and there is plenty of stock left, retailers need to get rid of excess inventory, so the prices are drastically reduced.
Here are a few tips about what to buy and when for the best savings:
- Winter Clothing – The best time to buy winter clothing is at the end of the season when retailers need to get rid of winter inventory to make room for new summer clothes.
- Home Goods and Décor – If you're looking for home goods and décor, February is a great time to take advantage of specials. President’s Day sales often spotlight discounts on home goods like decorations, rugs, mattresses, furniture, and linens.
- Electronics – Spring sales in April offer the best deals on electronics. From TVs and laptops to smartphones and other electronic gadgets; look for the best deals on your favorite electronics during this month.
- Toys – After the Christmas rush for toys is the best time to get good deals in this department. Savvy shoppers and frugal parents can take advantage of these amazing deals on the most popular holiday toys and save them for holiday gifting next year.
Timeless Gifts that Keep on Giving
When holiday shopping, you may be surprised to learn about some of the unique gifts you can find that are not specifically tied to the holiday season. Great deals can be found on these gifts throughout the year, and many do not have expiration dates, so they are perfect for gift-giving. Consider these gifts that keep on giving:
- Experiences Over Material Goods – Gifts like concerts, hotel stays, and dinners let the recipient use them at their convenience and offer memories that last a lifetime.
- Clothing and Accessories as Practical Gifts – Consider practical gifts like clothing, handbags, scarves, and hats that are useful and appreciated.
- Financial Gifts - Gifting things like savings bonds and money for savings accounts are great gifts for those who are just starting out or are saving for a big purchase like their first home. Nothing shows you care more than an investment in someone’s future.
Leveraging Holiday Savings All Year Long
When it comes time for holiday shopping, being smart with your savings is another way to ensure you get the most bang for your buck. Setting a spending cap and saving money during the year allows you to not only get your holiday gifts at the best prices at post-holiday sales, but also ensures you the funds available when you need it. The combination of saving up for holiday shopping and budgeting is a great way to maximize savings for holiday shopping.
Create a Holiday Budget for Gift Buying
One of the great things about budgeting is its versatility. A budget can be used for any financial goal even holiday gifts buying. Start out by making a list of everyone (including your furry friends) that you wish to buy a gift for. Next to their name, list a few gift ideas for them along with the cost. Then add up the costs for all the gifts you plan to buy and determine if the total is a reasonable and affordable amount to spend. If you find that the total is too high, go back and set a cap on the dollar amount for each person on your list. This will help you create an affordable budget for gift buying.
In the world of finance, smart spending is a year-round endeavor. With these holiday shopping and saving hacks, you're equipped to make the most of your hard-earned money not only during the festive season but throughout the entire year. Remember, financial wisdom is the gift that keeps on giving, allowing you to enjoy the holidays without breaking the bank. Stay savvy and shop smart!