Savings Bonds Answers
Q. How do I purchase US Savings Bonds?
You can buy electronic savings bonds at www.treasurydirect.gov. Opening a TreasuryDirect account is free, and, once it's established, you can:
- Buy, manage, and redeem Series EE and I electronic savings bonds.
- Convert Series EE and I paper savings bonds to electronic through the SmartExchange feature.
- Purchase electronic savings bonds as a gift.
- Enroll in a payroll savings plan for purchasing electronic bonds.
- Invest in other Treasury securities such as bills, notes, bonds, and TIPS (Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities).
For a self guided tour of TreasuryDirect go to: www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/TDTour/default.htm